Sous Chef - $1,000 Retention Bonus
Sous Chef - $1,000 Retention Bonus
at Vincentian Collaborative System
Stanton Heights, Green Tree, McCandless Pittsburgh, PA
Full Time, Part-Time, Flex
$1,000 Retention Bonus
At Vincentian, we offer a chance for you to make a difference in the lives of others every day. Our legacy is rooted in the tradition of delivering high quality and compassionate care to those we serve in our senior living communities, our childcare centers, our Learning and Engagement Institute and more.
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting in the training and mentoring the food service staff under the direction of the Culinary Manager to ensure the proper execution of the menus and recipes, guiding in the training, and mentoring of the culinary staff, supporting the Culinary Supervisor and Manager, and assisting in all areas of the Food Services Department.
- Flexible Scheduling, can be four 10-hour shifts
- Free Meals
- Uniforms Provided
- Medical, Dental, & Vision
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On-Site Fitness Center
- Formal Wellness Program
- Employee Discount Program
- Sick Leave
What You Will Do
- Prepares meals and food to meet the specifications of the Culinary Manager in a timely manner by following all written dietary policies and procedures for all food service activities.
- Will participate in and attend various committees/manager meetings of the facility in the absence of the Culinary Manager.
- Meets with vendors and attends food distributor food shows to evaluate new food products, equipment, disposables, etc. in the absence of the Culinary Manager.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of food service sanitation. Directs employees in the proper methods of handling food items.
- Follows infection control practices and procedures for safety of residents, self, and co-workers.
- Provides positive impression of Food Services Department to all other staff, residents, and visitors always.
- Collaborates with staff of the Food Services Department, educating and training, to be in compliance with Department of Health regulations.
- Sous Chef will stand in to assume other Food Services Department roles as needed.
- Performs all other duties assigned by the Culinary Manager.
As a Manager, You Will
- Report recommendations from committees/meetings as they pertain to food services.
- Collaborates with People Operations in areas including recruitment, orientation, training, staff development, performance evaluation, disciplinary action and policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with the Culinary Supervisor to ensure that therapeutic spreadsheets are available and therapeutic diets are prepared and served according to diet orders.
- Assists with managing inventory and order product and supplies from purveyors.
- Responds to Resident Council concerns regarding food programs.
- Will collaborate with the Culinary Supervisor to determines staffing requirements and schedule enough staff for each shift.
- Participates in interdisciplinary meetings and in-services as assigned.
- Provide direct supervision of hourly employees and their adherence to all VCS policies and procedures and department standards and guidelines.
- Coach and discipline employees as appropriate and in partnership with People Operations Specialist while enforcing all policies and procedures.
- Schedule personnel to meet operational needs and in accordance with volume and budgetary guidelines
- Complete all necessary entries and approvals relating to biweekly payroll without delaying payroll process.
- Contribute to the relevant and timely performance feedback to employees through the performance review process.
- Conduct department orientation, training and coaching of all new employees.
What We Look For
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressive culinary experience required, i.e., graduation from prep cook to lead cook, chef, or sous chef
- Experience as a cook or chef in a senior community preferred.
- Allegheny County Health Department certification preferred.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Serv-Safe Manager Certificate preferred.
Vincentian is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Selected candidates may need to successfully complete pre-hire testing including, a drug test, physical exam, TB test and background check.